Nage-no-kata Demonstration eines Querschnittsgelähmten im Kodokan

Nage-no-Kata, Katame-no-Kata, Gonosen-no-Kata und verwandte Kata
Antworten
Cichorei Kano
Braun Gurt Träger
Braun Gurt Träger
Re: Nage-no-kata Demonstration eines Querschnittsgelähmten im Kodokan

Beitrag von Cichorei Kano »

This is a very complex issue that naturally quickly prompts emotional and sympathetic reactions. We can all appreciate when someone has endured a tragic physical ordeal and shows courage in overcoming the limitations of his body. At the same time, and without showing disrespect, there are within the context of judo deeper questions that should be asked. I addressed these issues in a paper I wrote about judo and disability, but which until this point I have never submitted for publication. There are some very fundamental issues one is confronted with if one fully understands both the meaning and purpose of nage-no-kata ...

What happens here is that one attempts to replicate an exercise that was optimized for a very different context and practitioners group. At the occasion of the World Kata Championships in Amsterdam a few years ago, there was a similar demonstration, and some time later such demonstration was also held at the Kôdôkan. Views were mixed, and those comments released equally focused on respect, while critically comments were carefully avoided and retained for discussions behind closed doors. Let me put it simple ... when nage-no-kata instead of showing maximal effect at minimal effort, shows minimal effect at maximal effort, you are facing a fundamental problem in the context of the meaning of judo. This problem is amplified by the decreasing understanding of judo kata, and the further sportification of judo kata, as has happened to randori-oriented judo after World War II. Kata is not a goal of judo, but only one of the 4 means towards learning to master judo. Nage-no-kata was never crafted for the situation exhibited here. There are other martial arts or martial arts koryû schools where certain exercises exist that have been crafted bearing wounded or disabled samurai in mind. There is a reason that these exercises are different from the standard exercises, just like there is a reason that Maurice Ravel wrote his Piano Concerto for the Left Hand in D major, which was specifically written for Paul Wittgenstein who had lost his right arm in the First World War. Why wanting to insist on playing Beethoven's Emperor Concert which was not crafted to be played that way and which cannot be played that way ?

In his life Kanô-shihan planned many things in judo, many things he never accomplished, also not in kata. As you know, for example, Kodokan goshinjutsu was completed only almost 2 decades after his death, Mifune's kata of counter throws, and important technical concept, was never approved. People with certain disabilities deserve exercises, throws, newaza, kihon, kata that are crafted bearing in mind their physical limitations and employing the principle of sei-ryoku zen'yô and jû in that context, so that they too can enjoy to the fullest and without discrimination being members of the judo family.

Like yourself, I have respect and admiration for people who accomplish things in the face of great adversity. However, I was once taught a very important lesson by a direct student of Kanô-shihan: "Do not try to impress people,when practicing kata". Until that point I had enjoyed the "ooh's" and "Ah's" from audiences, but it was a comment that importantly advanced my comprehension of kata. When in 2009 I was invited by the leading experts of Kitô-ryû and Takenouchi-ryû I was honored with a private tea ceremony. In tea ceremony, and every other form of Japanese art "katachi" or form is important. However, this is not what Westerners and many contemporary Japanese attempt to make out of it. The Japanese tea master who served tea for me did so with the least intent to impress me. Kata neither is something to practice with the idea of winning praise, but it is merely a tool to advance your understanding and mastering of judo. To do so kata must serve judo. It is to be hoped that one day senior teachers at the Kodokan embrace the challenges of those who are disabled and in that light devote their expertise to create exercises optimized at realizing the goals of judo in this target group.
HBt.
3. Dan Träger
3. Dan Träger

Demonstrationen abseits der Norm (im Kodokan)

Beitrag von HBt. »

Cichorei Kano hat geschrieben:
17.07.2018, 03:58
This is a very complex issue that naturally quickly prompts emotional and sympathetic reactions. We can all appreciate when someone has endured a tragic physical ordeal and shows courage in overcoming the limitations of his body. At the same time, and without showing disrespect, there are within the context of judo deeper questions that should be asked. I addressed these issues in a paper I wrote about judo and disability, but which until this point I have never submitted for publication. There are some very fundamental issues one is confronted with if one fully understands both the meaning and purpose of nage-no-kata ...
Gut. Ich war etwas geschockt als ich das Video gesehen habe. Ich habe es nach wenigen Szenen ausgeschaltet um es mir dann doch noch komplett anzusehen, ich wollte sehen /wissen ob ich die Quintessenz der Kata (bzgl. der Gruppen und einzelner Illustrationen mit ihren Vektoren) wiederkenne. Auch wenn die Umsetzung voll und ganz gelungen zu sein scheint, gefällt mir das Video nicht.
Emotional berührt bin ich in mehreren Richtungen.

Meinen Respekt vor dem Mut und meine Achtung vor seinen Judokenntnissen - dem Versuch etwas Unmögliches trotzdem zu tun.
What happens here is that one attempts to replicate an exercise that was optimized for a very different context and practitioners group.
Richtig!
At the occasion of the World Kata Championships in Amsterdam a few years ago, there was a similar demonstration, and some time later such demonstration was also held at the Kôdôkan. Views were mixed, and those comments released equally focused on respect, while critically comments were carefully avoided and retained for discussions behind closed doors. Let me put it simple ... when nage-no-kata instead of showing maximal effect at minimal effort, shows minimal effect at maximal effort, you are facing a fundamental problem in the context of the meaning of judo.
dito
This problem is amplified by the decreasing understanding of judo kata, and the further sportification of judo kata, as has happened to randori-oriented judo after World War II. Kata is not a goal of judo, but only one of the 4 means towards learning to master judo. Nage-no-kata was never crafted for the situation exhibited here. There are other martial arts or martial arts koryû schools where certain exercises exist that have been crafted bearing wounded or disabled samurai in mind. There is a reason that these exercises are different from the standard exercises, just like there is a reason that Maurice Ravel wrote his Piano Concerto for the Left Hand in D major, which was specifically written for Paul Wittgenstein who had lost his right arm in the First World War. Why wanting to insist on playing Beethoven's Emperor Concert which was not crafted to be played that way and which cannot be played that way ?
Auch diesem Punkt stimme ich zu.
In his life Kanô-shihan planned many things in judo, many things he never accomplished, also not in kata. As you know, for example, Kodokan goshinjutsu was completed only almost 2 decades after his death, Mifune's kata of counter throws, and important technical concept, was never approved. People with certain disabilities deserve exercises, throws, newaza, kihon, kata that are crafted bearing in mind their physical limitations and employing the principle of sei-ryoku zen'yô and jû in that context, so that they too can enjoy to the fullest and without discrimination being members of the judo family.
Und dieses transportiert das Video, das ist die Botschaft.
Like yourself, I have respect and admiration for people who accomplish things in the face of great adversity. However, I was once taught a very important lesson by a direct student of Kanô-shihan: "Do not try to impress people,when practicing kata". Until that point I had enjoyed the "ooh's" and "Ah's" from audiences, but it was a comment that importantly advanced my comprehension of kata. When in 2009 I was invited by the leading experts of Kitô-ryû and Takenouchi-ryû I was honored with a private tea ceremony. In tea ceremony, and every other form of Japanese art "katachi" or form is important. However, this is not what Westerners and many contemporary Japanese attempt to make out of it. The Japanese tea master who served tea for me did so with the least intent to impress me. Kata neither is something to practice with the idea of winning praise, but it is merely a tool to advance your understanding and mastering of judo. To do so kata must serve judo. It is to be hoped that one day senior teachers at the Kodokan embrace the challenges of those who are disabled and in that light devote their expertise to create exercises optimized at realizing the goals of judo in this target group.
Starker Tabak.
Aber Du hast recht damit, dieses wäre der richtige (auch ein therapeutischer) Weg - wenigstens ein Aspekt, den es zu begrüßen gilt.

Gruß,
HBt.

PS
Hat Cees Roest in den Augen der japanischen Bevölkerung den Rahmen eines ungeschriebenen Verhaltenskodex verletzt? Wie reagieren die Japaner, wenn sie mit einem derartigem Handikap konfrontiert werden? Ein querschnittsgelähmter Mensch kann die Nage no kata des Kodokan-Judo nicht demonstrieren /ausführen.
Antworten