Okanos Worte

Hier könnt ihr alles posten was mit Judo zu tun hat

Antworten
HBt.

Okanos Worte

Beitrag von HBt. »

Judo in the words of Isao Okano-Sensei

In late January, I asked Mr. Isao Okano for his thoughts on today’s judo. It hardly needs saying that Okano-Sensei was Gold Medalist in the middle-weight category at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, as well as two-time winner of the All-Japan Judo Championships (still holding the record for lightest-weight champion). Having also won the 1965 World Judo Championships (middle-weight category), he is one of the very few in Japan to hold the triple crown of Olympic, All-Japan and World titles. He presently holds no official post in Japanese judo circles, but his skills and his unwavering stance toward upholding the fundamentals of judo command respect both at home and abroad.
Though he has just turned 67, Mr. Okano still gets into his judogi and takes his place on the tatami mat in an on-going career that, including his position at Ryutsu Keizai University, involves judo instruction both in Japan and overseas. He carries a mettle that says, “I can’t just stand by and watch judo turning into a sham.” Each of his statements below bears important points relating to the essence of judo. (February, 2011 Edited by Gotaro Ogawa)

1. “Looseness” in the fit of judogi

For some time, I have felt there is something wrong with today’s judogi. It is because when you get into them, you don’t get a feeling of “looseness” or “roominess.” To give one example, when I’m giving lessons on Seoinage, I can’t even maneuver my wrist grabbing my opponent’s collar because there isn’t enough room, and that shouldn’t be. If things go on this way, we’ll no longer be able to use this most basic of judo techniques, and it will be impossible to practice real judo. The difference between combative sports like sambo, sumo and Iran’s wrestling as compared with judo comes in what you wear. The outfits make a big difference in what kind of techniques you can use.
Judogi had their origins in the Japanese kimono, and because kimono are loose-fitting, this made it possible to execute a wide range of techniques, and that led to judo’s distinctive “Sho yoku dai wo seisu (small can conquer large)” character. The outfit formerly used in jujitsu was relatively close fitting, but modern-day judo brought in judogi with a fuller, looser fit.
When judogi don’t have the necessary looseness, it kills the unique nature of judo, and judo begins looking like other combative sports, one result being that you lose the interest and attraction of open-weight matches. Speaking of matches, one thing we need is to have pre-match checks, inserting the hand to see whether the athletes’ judogi are loose enough.

2. Ban on use of the hand in direct attacks below the obi

I myself haven’t gone to see many international tournaments so don’t have an accurate grasp of how the new rules banning hand attacks below the obi are actually being applied. But when I heard of these new rules, I felt concerned that they would make it difficult to use “Go no sen (to make a delayed offensive move taking advantage of the opponent’s attack)” and would reduce the interest of open-weight matches.
There are two main approaches to taking “Go no sen.” One is to use your opponent’s technique and turn it on himself. The other is to absorb it and turn to applying one of the techniques you yourself are good at. I got the impression that under the new rules, we’d no longer be able to use techniques like the Sutemi Kouchigari, Kataguruma, or Ouchigari with a hold on the leg, and that it would be hard to execute Sukuinage or techniques where you hold your opponent around the waist and throw. In that case, it would put an end to “small can conquer large” open-weight category matches. I thought that at the very least, there must be a way to designate just a bare minimum of techniques to be banned.
Only, later on, when I went to the United States and watched practice and matches there, I noticed that under the new rules, a good number of judoka were not aiming for the legs but instead working harder to master fundamental judo techniques like the Uchimata, Taiotoshi and Seoinage. It was good to see judo becoming more authentic, but in another way, I felt there were fewer techniques showing originality and that offensive and defensive interactions had become simple and less interesting.
I want to keep a close watch on how these new rules develop.

3. Newaza

Newaza are essential to judo. Gaining skill in Newaza depends on how you use your legs and requires hard training in using all four limbs, both arms and both legs. Many of today’s judo athletes don’t know of these fundamentals.
When you watch Newaza in matches these days, you find a tendency to lie face down on the mat waiting for the referee to help you out with a “Mate” call. With tactics like this, Newaza are as good as dead. Turning your back on your opponent means getting attacked from behind, and that kind of tactic has no place in the martial arts. You have to lie face up and spar. Shouldn’t they be considering laying penalties on athletes so passive as to lie face down waiting for help from the referee? That would be one way to get Newaza back to the position it deserves.
There are also problems with the referees. Referees don’t know enough about the process of Newaza, so they have a strong tendency to make the two opponents return prematurely to their feet. If they had a good knowledge of the unfolding process involved in attacking and defending in Newaza, they would know whether it’s coming to a standstill or not. There are all too many referees who don’t know much about it, or who have only shallow experience. There’s a need to stop giving refereeing positions to people like that. While on referees, to make another point, it’s really regrettable how many times in international matches you find techniques unqualified as Ippon being declared, nevertheless, as Ippon. There is a clear need for the training and drilling of referees.

4. Riner’s manners

Last September in Tokyo at the open-weight category finals of the World Judo Championships, when France’s Teddy Riner lost by decision, it was reported that he was dissatisfied with the referees’ decision and left the mat without giving the “rei” bow. I wasn’t there to see it in person, but if the media reports are correct, it is a serious problem. Judo begins and ends with “rei.” You might have lost or disagreed with the decision, but leaving without “rei” is the same as starting a brawl.
Down through the years, judo in France has been taught as judo should be, so it is my expectation that this incident has not been overlooked. It would be strange if those in French judo circles did not caution Riner or serve him with a penalty, and could lower France’s reputation. Japan herself should have given a warning on this matter. Many young people and children learning judo here in Japan were watching through television and other broadcasts. “Judo Renaissance” has been emphasizing manners and respect. Japan should have lodged a protest. If Japan is weak at voicing her opinions on an international level, then she should join with France and speak out on this subject.

Quelle: http://www.judo-voj.com/contents/okano.html
HBt.

Re: Okanos Worte

Beitrag von HBt. »

Schon etwas älter, aber trotzdem sehr interessant.
Article: “Current Judo Will Not Produce Judo Master” Source: Kindai Judo, Jan. ’09, monthly periodical

Interview with Isao Okano, b 1944

In 1964 at the age of 20, Okano won the Gold at the Tokyo Olympics in the middleweight division. He was called ‘Showa Sanshiro’ after Kano’s favorite student.

1965 – Rio/World Championships – middleweight – Gold
1967 – All Japan – won Open Division (weight less than 80K)
1969 - All Japan – won Open Division
Retired competition at 25
Presently teaches at Ryutsu Economic University

Plea – for judo to survive

Okano:
I don’t like the relaxed feeling we have in the dojo – they practice in a very relaxed environment. They need tension to practice over and over. It’s good-friend judo practice. Each university has a program but they don’t visit each other. Between players and coaches, there is not a tense relationship. They practice what they like to practice – they don’t prepare for stronger than you or bigger than you or they avoid who has an unusual style. In Japan, one of the reasons for judo’s weakness may be the rules or judo gi, but this is the biggest reason. I visit SJSU every summer in America and sometimes I look at the Japanese students who visit San Jose – most people are wearing t-shirts under their gi. American judo players don’t wear a t-shirt unless they are catching cold – usually they don’t wear that. They shouldn’t be wearing t-shirts under gi, but Japanese students wear them. What are they doing judo for? Judo is training in sometime winter or summer training – this has meaning. Most people bring a water bottle in the dojo and they drink when they want to drink. There is no set-tone. France has tougher rules and are more like the original protocol.

Weight categories should go back to light, middle, heavy and open. Then open division idea will remain.

Interviewer:
First, coaches should change their idea. In Okano’s time, everyone thought about open division, now it is different.

Okano:
When we were doing judo, basic thinking was open division. Then, Tokyo Olympics started it – light, medium, heavy and open division. I think they should bring back light, middle, heavy and open divisions. Right now, there are seven categories, so everybody thinks only of their own category. Nobody thinks about open division. The purpose of seven divisions was to develop judo for different countries; there could be more medals. Judo is now all over the world, this has been accomplished.

Interviewer:
That’s right.

Okano:
Judo is now all over the world, however, the quality is down,. How are we going to bring back the quality? At this point, bringing back light, middle, heavy and open is the best idea and quality will go up. If you can’t fight off 15K, that is not judo. When I was doing judo, I won middle weight then and as soon as I graduated college, I tried the open division. One problem was, I was too light. If I didn’t gain weight, they will put me in middle division -I didn’t like that so before the tournament I ate so many riceballs and in the middle of night I ate, I ate in the morning and I didn’t go to the bathroom until weigh-ins were over. Sometimes I had 2.5 K dumbbells in my underwear before I weighed in.

Even lightweights should go up a weight if they want.

Interviewer:
Is that right? That much you wanted to go to open division?

Okano:
Even now, some smaller person want to beat a larger person so even a smaller person should be able to go up a division. They can easily change this in the rulebook if they wish. That way, even the open division idea will come back.

Interviewer:
Surely that’s right. That’s not a difficult thing to do. If you don’t do that, the idea of ‘ju yoku go wo sei su’ is not going to develop. In order to bring back original judo, it’s going to be very important to do judo education and also to teach young kids how to teach young kids. That’s the question. How do you teach the young kids.

Okano:
Currently, there are too many judo tournaments. If they have too many, the kind of technique used will be limited. Judo players want to win, so they will use what has worked before. This is not a good thing for judo. Tournaments should be only twice a year. My basis thinking is, do good judo.

Interviewer:
Good judo?

Okano:
Good judo is first good standing technique. There are five points to do this:
1) Keep good posture
2) Learn how to use ‘tsuritei’ (wrist and elbow) when you are a beginner, you must learn this.
3) You learn movement including ashi waza.
4) You find out your own best technique
5) Do good ukemi.

There is a lot of meaning to do a lot of ukemi.

Interviewer:
Good ‘ukemi’?

Okano:
You will improve if you do more and more ‘ukemi’. You cannot cheat. If you do more and more ‘ukemi’, your body will become more relaxed and you’ll be able to adjust. The person who doesn’t like ‘ukemi’, their body movement is not flexible. The reason to take a lot of ukemi is so that you’ll not worry about getting thrown and you will attack again. If you keep doing that, your judo quality will go up. That’s why it is very important to teach kids how important ukemi is.

When I was a kid, I started doing ukemi and did only that for three months. I understand if you try and get the kids today to do like that, they won’t consider it “fun” and they will quit. That’s why you must make sure that while you’re concentrating on ukemi, you teach some ne-waza so they don’t get bored. Maybe instead of a tournament, you have a ukemi exhibition where the best demonstrate and the students can see how it looks.

Jiu jitsu overcomes judo ‘newaza’.

Interviewer:
If you keep doing good judo, its future will become brighter. You mentioned that judoka need their own special technique

Okano:
There are not many people, even among coaches, who have their own special technique. A player with his own special technique is fun to watch out for (when will he use it?) but nowadays there are few like that, so it’s very disappointing.

Very few, even coaches, can do newaza. Recntly, jiu jitsu is very popular in U.S., and I was wondering what is jiu jitsu because what they’re doing is judo’s newaza. Jiu jitsu is largely an imitation of judo and they bring sambo technique like a knee-lock or leg-lock. The level was lower than judo’s newaza, but they are practicing only newaza and become better. Even imitation becomes better which grows confidence.

I have a friend who has a dojo in Brasil and some Japanese judoka went and my friend said to me: “My dojo is not high level jiu jitsu but my students beat Japanese judoka easily.” I was so surprised that Japanese judoka were so weak in newaza. I believe it is so because the coach doesn’t teach newaza in Japan. In America, judoka say that in order to win over Japanese judoka, you should go to newaza.

Interviewer:
Is that so? As soon as possible, they have to make an effort to do newaza. Is there a good training way to become strong?

Okano:
In order to make a srong newaza, why doesn’t Japan put on an All-Japan Newaza tournament? You have to do that, or Japan’s newaza will get weaker and weaker. In other words, the player who doesn’t have confidence in newaza will have less chance to win. If in gripping time an opponent puts their knee on the mat, the player with good newaza will always have an advantage. Currently the problems with gi or rules it is hard get your grip for tachiwaza. Most people can be very competent newaza in two years. However, if you start newaza before tachiwaza, then your tachiwaza will not get strong and you will not have confidence in tachiwaza. This is why when you have some confidence in tachiwaza, you should then start newaza. Some people say in order to develop good newaza, one idea is to do newaza match. You start tachiwaza, but even the person who throws, there is no point until newaza starts. I think this is a good idea for practice to develop newaza.

Ishii (Olympic champion) moved to Kakutongi (like MMA) in Japan.

If he hadn’t done this, with effort, he would have made another level in judo.

Interviewer:
That’s interesting. I think to reinforce newaza is very necessary. Before Beijing Olympics, Ishii judoka visited Okano-sensei. Did you give him some advice on newaza?

Okano:
No, I didn’t give him any advice. Especially because this was just before the Olympics. If I advised about technique, it would have confused him, so I did not mention anything about technical matters.

Interviewer:
Is that right? What do you think of Ihii’s judo?

Okano:
His judo is getting more stronger. Even he has become champion at this point, he is not complete in his judo. His judo is only ‘attack’ so opponents can easily study his judo. Someday he might hit the wall. The next step is to let his opponent attack him and have counter. If he does this his judo will become complete.

Interviewer:
Is that right? But Ishii moved to MMA in Japan.

Okano:
That’s right. So quickly he decided to go to MMA.

Ishii judoka, please do not wear judo gi in the ring.

Interviewer:
If Mr. Ishii loses after moving to MMA, will that be shame for Japanese judo?

Okano:
I don’t think so. This was his decision and he’s not fighting as a representative of Japanese judo. What I want to say is personally, please don’t wear the judo gi in the ring.
In the past, some people have worn judo gi in a ring – every time I’ve seen this, I do not like it. To clarify, I’m not disapproving of Mr. Ishii of going to MMA, I just don’t want him to wear a judo-gi .

Interviewer:
The judo gi for a judoka is a pure thing?

Okano:
That’s right. The judo gi is designed and made to do judo in. If someone decides to do some sort of MMA, then just wear shorts, but not a gi which represents Japanese judo. Why doesn’t the judo association make a rule about this? If they make a rule, martial artists will understand so it will be clear.

Interviewer:
By the way, currently, Okano Sensei is teaching at Ryutsu Keizai University. I don’t mean to be forward, but what are you thinking of after you retire?

Okano:
I’m thinking about a lot of things. I’m thinking about opening a dojo or maybe go abroad and help support judo but I haven’t decided yet.

Interviewer:
One more thing, I’d like to have your opinion on.

Okano:
Over and over I mention about world judo hitting a wall. When they think about judo at the time, I’d like to leave some technical info in a book or tape to help judo. I believe I should do this. What if there is no document there, then judo can’t go back to its roots.

Interviewer:
This interview is very hard for a coach or judo player to hear. If it bothers the reader, that is because they love judo and it disturbs their thinking so I hope this interview will find those that love judo.
Deshi
Braun Gurt Träger
Braun Gurt Träger

Beitrag von Deshi »

Ich antworte hier nur, damit du weißt, dass diese Beiträge auch gelesen werden. :)
Poste ruhig mehr davon, das ist alles interessant zu lesen!
Antonio
Blau Gurt Träger
Blau Gurt Träger
Bundesland: Schleswig-Holstein

Beitrag von Antonio »

Deshi hat geschrieben:Poste ruhig mehr davon, das ist alles interessant zu lesen!
Naja, das mag ja interessant sein, aber ich erinnere nur mal so nebenbei an Guttenberg & Co. Auch in einem Forum gelten die Regeln für das Zitieren und Reproduzieren nach dem Urheberrecht. :dontknow

Einen schönen Tag noch,
Antonio
Ronin
3. Dan Träger
3. Dan Träger
Bundesland: Baden-Württemberg

Beitrag von Ronin »

Antonio hat geschrieben: Naja, das mag ja interessant sein, aber ich erinnere nur mal so nebenbei an Guttenberg & Co. Auch in einem Forum gelten die Regeln für das Zitieren und Reproduzieren nach dem Urheberrecht. :dontknow
und wenn du sie kennen würdest, würdest du auch wissen, dass Gutenbergs Problem darin bestand, dass er KEINE Quelle angegeben hat bzw nicht mal gesgat hat dass er zitiert. HBT tut das, also wo ist dein Problem?
Antonio
Blau Gurt Träger
Blau Gurt Träger
Bundesland: Schleswig-Holstein

Beitrag von Antonio »

Ronin hat geschrieben:und wenn du sie kennen würdest, würdest du auch wissen, dass Gutenbergs Problem darin bestand, dass er KEINE Quelle angegeben hat bzw nicht mal gesagt hat, dass er zitiert. HBT tut das, also wo ist dein Problem?
Richtig, was Gutti angeht. Zitieren bedeutet die Wiedergabe eines kleinen Abschnitts, einer/einiger Passagen. Die Wiedergabe eines kompletten Textes fällt nicht unter Zitat. Ganz unten auf der Seite steht auch "Copyright 2009 Gotaro OGAWA All rights reserved". Der Hinweis (Quelle) von Hbt. auf die betreffende Seite reicht da nicht aus, zumindest nicht solange jemand die Urheberschaft am Text besitzt. Gilt auch für "Crossposting".

Ein kurzes Zitat samt zugehörigem Link und schon ist alles in Butter.

Gruß,
Antonio
tutor!

Beitrag von tutor! »

Grundsätzlich hat Antonio recht, jedoch hat mir Gotaro Ogawa in einer persönlichen Mail vor einiger Zeit erlaubt, die Inhalte seiner Seite weiter zu verbreiten.
I founded a new system for physical culture and mental training as well as for winning contests. I called this "Kodokan Judo",(J. Kano 1898)
Techniques are only the words of the language judo (Cichorei Kano, 24.12.2008)
HBt.

Zergliedern

Beitrag von HBt. »

UPS!

Kein Problem: Die einfachste Lösungmöglichkeit ist also das TEILZITAT, mit einem kurzen Kommentar zum Inhalt ;-). Ach ja, der Inhalt...